A procedure, used to preserve whole tissues and cells, is what is known as Cryopreservation and is offered as a part of Treatment at KICHyderabad.
A process where organelles, cells, tissues, extracellular matrix, organs or any other biological constructs susceptible to damage caused by unregulated chemical kinetics are conserved by freezing them to very low temperatures, typically less than −80 °C using solid carbon dioxide or liquid nitrogen.
Cryopreservation is essentially, ability to thaw and freeze sperm or eggs. Through this method we can preserve embryos too. Frozen tissues are stored in liquid nitrogen at a temperature below -186 degree Celsius.
Freezing Human Specimen happens to be one of the oldest methods, for preservation of genetic identity. In many instances in history, human specimen like Sperm/ Embryo’s/ Egg’s have been frozen at a younger age for the purpose of minimizing the risk in pregnancy at a later stage of life globally.
At low enough temperatures, damage to the biological material due to any enzymatic or chemical activity is minimized. In Cryopreservation, we use methods to reach low temperatures without causing additional damage caused by the formation of ice crystals during freezing. In traditional cryopreservation, the processrelies on coating the material to be frozen with a class of molecules termed as cryoprotectants.
Sperm Freezing:A technique where a sperm for male partner in treatment is frozen for future use in IVF or IUI.This method of sperm freezing enables couples and ART clinic with an option of backup in cases wherein future if a sperm quality of the male partner may deteriorate due to age or other factors for the sake of conception.
For those patients suffering from diseases that may impact ovarian production or any other physical/ medical conditions that in future limits production of egg like treatment for cancers etc., cryopreservation of eggs or oocytes is a viable option. Through freezing oocytesone can easily avoid issues relating to embryo freezing. It is a common phenomenon these days.
At KIC, We offer Embryo Cryopreservation. It is used as an established alternative for couples pursuing ART Treatments, who desire to preserve such embryos for future use in case of failed pregnancy attempt or for conception in future.
As fertility factordeteriorates with age in normal couples, this happens more-so with higher intensity in case of Couples having fertility issues.
Another basic benefit of embryo freezing is that embryo can be thawed and transferred in natural manner whenever required at any age.
Process of Cryopreservation of Embryo’s/ Sperm/ Oocytes:
- Initially at KIC, screening of people whose genetic specimen i.e. sperm/ eggis to be stored, also in case for creating embryos to be frozen is done.
- This screening takes place for determining infectious diseases like HIV, Hepatitis and other such conditions and also to determine the quality of the specimen.
- In case of ART treatment being undertaken, unused embryos/ sperm/ oocytesarefrozen and stored. In this process, cryo-protectant liquid is added for protecting the genetic specimen while undergoing freezing procedure.
- Commonly, method of slow freezing is undertaken and the embryos are frozen at a temperature around -196 degree Celsius.
- Fast freezing procedure known as Vitrification is also adopted in cases, wherein the genetic specimen including embryo will go for instant solidification to minimize damage due to ice crystals’ formation etc..